Monday, September 15, 2008

Terrible Twos

Hey dude, we need to have a little chat. Whoever said that the terrible twos start around 18 months was right on. While you have always been a somewhat *ahem* "tempermental" child, I have definitely noticed differences in the way you throw your tantrums with the past few weeks. Since you will be 18 months later this week, I can only assume you've been getting a head start.

For instance; your tantrums are more likely to be in response to me asking you to do something, or letting you know in no uncertain terms that you CANNOT do something. They are also more likely to include vigorous shaking of the head and clinging to my legs as if begging me NOT to throw you out the window. I thought I was being clever by substituting the word "Stop" for "No" when I needed to get your attention, so that "No" would not become your favorite word. I should have known better than to assume you wouldn't improvise.

You have been especially clingy lately, and I can only assume it is due to your teeth. You are currently experiencing the arrival of your LAST one year molar, yes, the same ones which have taken a grand total of FOUR MONTHS to arrive. But I have to admit, all this increased clinginess coupled with a new sense of desired independence has got me a little confused. Please clue me in.

The other day, your Daddy took off after work for a meeting. You proceeded to point with glee and say, "Mo-grrrrr", which is your word for motorcycle. You laughed and waved "bye-bye". Then I made the grave mistake of telling you to say "Bye-bye to Daddy". Well, that did it. Something changed. Your little face absolutely crumpled with realization as you frantically shouted, "Daddy go bye-bye? Daddy bye-bye??" You ran down the driveway after him shreiking hysterically, when you suddenly tripped and went down. Hard. I saw it as if in slow-motion. Your head hit the pavement while your little body simultaneously flipped in the air. I held my breath as I ran to you, in the eternal moment before you begain to wail. I picked you up, and you finally begain crying. I breathed a sigh of relief. It took me a bit longer to comfort you than usual, but you are tough. After a bit, you remembered what you had been doing and forgot all about the pain. "Daddy bye-bye?" your cried, "Daddy bye-bye!!" I could feel my heart break. I took you inside for a snuggle and some books, and eventually you forgot your sadness, amidst pointing out "Fi trucks! (fire trucks)" and "Piece cars! (police cars)".

On a separate note, you can now count from one to ten BY YOURSELF, and I often enter the room to find you doing just that. I have no idea where you got your affinity for numbers, but it certainly wasn't from me.

Yesterday when we picked you up from the church nursery, I fully expected to hear that you had been crying and throwing tantrums. It turns out you were great, and they couldn't believe you were not yet 18 months. Apparently you chattered the whole time, pointing out everything in the room.

Like father, like son. ;)

1 comment:

Nystral Djo said...

"...clinging to my legs as if begging me NOT to throw you out the window." Hahahahaha. Um EXACTLY.