Thursday, September 25, 2008

Time to Try Some New Tactics

We are all finally feeling better and this morning we went and hung out with some of Wyatt's little friends. It was great to get out of the house. What made it even BETTER was that of all the kids, Wyatt was the only one who did not succumb to a major meltdown. It was a triumphant day indeed. And after yesterday, we sure needed this one.

Yesterday, well it was one gigantic tantrum from sun-up to sun-down. And not just the usual whining, intermittent screaming which is the soundtrack to our lives. This gigantic tantrum involved a beet-red colonel waving his arms, stomping his feet, and repeatedly defying orders from the general. So we started employing "time-out", as nothing thus far has seemed to work.

The colonel is either a slow learner, or VERY persistent, and I think I know which one of THOSE it is. For instance; he seems to take some sort of twisted glee in double fisting the dog food. When there is no more room for it in his mouth. I only had to use 15 1-minute time outs for him to decide that I was serious. As I was hanging clothes up to dry, I spied him AGAIN eyeing the dog food. He looked at me, very s-l-o-w-l-y picked up a piece off the ground and put it BACK in the bowl. He preceded to clean up the rest of the scattered particles, and did not touch the dog food for the rest of the day.

That I know of. ;)

No comments: