Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Nauseating Bragfest 2008

So far “time-out” has been working better then I had hoped. That’s pretty much all I’m going to say about that, in hopes of not jinxing it. ;) Except for one drawback; it only really works effectively at home. If Wyatt starts to disobey or lose it in a STORE, I can take him out to sit in the car for a minute, but this really only works if leaving the store was not what he WANTED in the first place. Ah well, you live and learn.

On a totally warm and fuzzy note, Wyatt has been starting to give *real* hugs (*using his arms, and not just nuzzling with his head). He has probably been doing this for a bit, but what really brought it to my attention was the other day when we were leaving his friend’s house. I told him to give her a hug, and in addition to leaning his head into her he wrapped his arms around her in a complete embrace. She did the same. It was adorable to see two 18 months olds hugging it out.

The other day we went to the park and that was the first day I really noticed Wyatt participating in reciprocal play; not just “parallel” or “trying to steal each other’s toys” play. He has never taken much interest in climbing around on the equipment by himself, but underneath the play structure there was a sort of plastic window. A little girl who looked about his age came over and they started passing (and throwing) wood chips back and forth to each other through the window. This went on for a good ten minutes and both of them were laughing hysterically, having such a great time. (There are pictures on my girlfriend’s camera, which I hope to get and post soon.)

Another recent development; when Wyatt first sees Eric emerging from our room in the morning, he runs up to him and shouts, “Hi, Daddy!” while throwing his arms around Eric’s legs. It is undoubtedly one of the sweetest things I have ever seen. As dead-set as I am against it, I somehow immediately turn into one of those really annoying piles of mush who is always gushing about motherhood. ;)

No comments: