Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Um...yeah, hi.

Well, hello there. Being that I have not updated this blog since SEPTEMBER 2007, I think it may be due for an update. I was really looking forward to napping when the little man went down, but alas, I consumed a nice hunk of decadent dark chocolate before laying down. It seems this keeps me awake better than coffee. Who knew?

Anyhow, it is funny to read through this blog and see how everything has changed. I laughed when reading the last post about taking away Wyatt's pacifier...of course that didn't last...totally gave in THAT NIGHT. ;) But we did manage to do away with it for good around 13 months, around the same time we got rid of the bottle, and by some miracle it seemed much easier then. And I'm sure a lot more has happened since, things I would love to remember and those I would love to forget. But I'll leave all that for another post on another day. If I FEEL LIKE IT. Because this is MY BLOG. Neener neener neener.

Anyhow, now Wyatt is 15 1/2 months old. He has been walking for about two months and started talking roughly around then. Just a few words repeated here and there, until he was about 14 months, and his language really started to explode. He seemed to be picking up about 5 new words a day for a while, and while he only uses about 10-15 on a regular basis, I would estimate he has said maybe 50 or more. His favorites include "car" (pronounced with a Boston accent like "ca"), "clock" (he can't say the "l", which is interesting), "fan" ("fa"), "water" ("wawa"), "bird" ("bir"), "moon" ("moo"), "chair" ("tzair"), "train" ("tain"), "bus" ("bu"), "ball" ("ba"), "dog" ("daw"), "bread" ("bed") and of course, "mama" and "dada". "Dada" is usually said with delight, while "mama" is called out in distress. Of course ;). Oh, and I can't forget his new favorite, "Bob" (pronounced "Ba"). He has a Bob the Builder video which he found the other day and followed me around the house with, repeating "Ba, Ba, Ba" until like a good pushover, I gave in. Well, now it seems he wants to watch it at every opportunity and while it does come in handy for the occasional shower, I'm a little concerned about my kid being an addict this early on...haha. Whenever I put in a CD, he gets excited and yells, "Ba, Ba!!!" Everything that goes into the DVD player or looks remotely like a DVD is, apparently, "Bob".

Another thing he has been doing lately is bringing me a diaper. Now, I'm of the opinion that this is just totally random, and he would be bringing me anything he found in his room, but dear husband is of the opinion that since our son is an obvious genius, of course he knows what he is doing. And indeed, on the last few occasions when I thought there was no way he would need one yet, I was greeted with a nice surprise upon changing him. Hmm...I know it is the skeptic in me, but hubby thinks its noteworthy so I suppose its worth a mention. Anyhow, wouldn't it be nice if he was on his way to early potting training..har har. ;)

On the subject of diapering, I have started cloth diapering Wyatt, and we have been doing it exclusively since he was just over a year. It took some getting used to and experimenting to see what would work best for my little super-soaker, especially overnight, but I quickly got the hang of it and I really enjoy it. Just a few extra loads a week, and no more buying diapers...plus they are super cute and way more comfy then the plastic disposables which never decompose in the landfills. (Don't I sound like a public service announcement? Thought so.) After experimenting I've found that I like bumGenius Deluxe 2.0 All-in-Ones the best. They are very trim and I have never had a leak. I use them over night with a doubler and a fleece cover over top and never have to change in the middle of the night...which I was ALWAYS doing with disposables. And no more nasty diaper pail stinking up the place. Since Wyatt is older and on solid foods, the number twos just roll right off and get flushed down the toilet. Then I put the diaper in a zip up wetbag and throw the whole thing in the wash when I am ready, so I never really have to touch it. I'm sure it would be different with newborn/ exclusively breastfed poop, but I don't have to think about that now, and its been working great.

Anyhow, little man is still quite strong-minded. Take yesterday for example. We were in Target and I decided to get him one of those big bouncy balls for like $2.99. So I was having a bit of trouble getting it out of the cage and had to bat it up to get it over and out. It went flying down the aisle, crashing into an endcap. Wyatt thought it was hilarious and was doubled over in laughter. It WAS pretty funny.

But, I digress. As we are making our way to the front, of course he wants to hold it, but the first thing he does when I give it to him is throw it out of the cart to watch it bounce. Naturally. Well, obviously I'm not going to go chasing this ball all over the store, so I just put it in the back of the cart. Mind you, this entire time Wyatt is shouting, "Ba, Ba!" (ball), and it is only escalating until shortly he is in hysterics at the checkout counter. Now, I should definitely be used to this, as stopping to checkout when he was colicky would produce murderous screams and horrified stares from shoppers. But I was checking out and grabbing bags, and I didn't have an extra set of hands to pick him up at that point. Not that it would have mattered much. He was screaming his head off, while trying to leap from the cart, necessitating me to hold his arm to keep him from jumping out. As we were surely the center of attention at this point, it looked as if I was squeezing his arm causing him to scream. I love those dirty looks. Hahahaha..I was so NOT happy with him at that point and after the requisite hysterics in the car had started to wane, I calmly told him that it was not acceptable to throw tantrums like that in public. Right, like my 15 month old got that and was all contrite. Haha. As a friend of mine so eloquently puts it, "Sometimes I feel like hitting myself over the head with a frying pan".

Anyhow, when we finally got home, aforementioned ball was a great hit, with both Wyatt and the dog. They hit it back and forth and chased each other around, Wyatt in hysterics of the BEST kind. It's funny how something small like a ball (or a baby) can totally make or break your day.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go put in "Bob the Builder" so I can take a shower.

No comments: